NJJO GOES MAMBO!
Maite Hontelé is the new artistic director National Youth Jazz Orchestra (NJJO) 2023 & 2024
REGISTRATION FOR SELECTIONS/AUDITIONS VIA WWW.NJJO.NL
Trumpeter/bandleader and multiple Grammy Award nominee MAITE HONTELÉ is the new artistic director, coach and soloist of the NJJO!
Under the direction of Maite Hontelé, twenty top musicians of up to 26 years old will be selected for the eighth edition of the NJJO via www.njjo.nl .
Until the end of next year the NJJO VIII members will follow a profound coaching process that is linked to various national and international collaborative projects and tours.
NJJO GOES MAMBO
Given Maite Hontelé’s expertise, the upcoming NJJO edition will make room for the traditional mambo and its translation into the present.
Maite Hontelé: “There is not just one kind of mambo, but a world of mambo variants and new crossovers. And in this, changing Latin grooves and jazz improvisations work together perfectly.
This provides a wide range of possibilities for both the NJJO and the public: depth and cheerfulness guaranteed!”
Between 2009 and 2018, Maite Hontelé lived in Colombia. A decade in which she released 5 CDs and gave series of concerts all over the world with her own salsa band.
The albums Déjame Así and Cuba Linda were nominated for a Latin Grammy. Cuba Linda won a Cubadisco award for best international album in 2019 and was on the list of nominees for a Dutch Edison Jazz/World in 2020.
CONDITIONS FOR SUBSCRIPTION
You must meet the following conditions:
1) You are a super talented musician with a maximum age of 26 years, you have an affinity with jazz + Latin and related styles and you live in the Netherlands.
2) You play at least 1 of the following instruments: vocals (Spanish speaking is a plus), drums, percussion (conga, timbales, bongo), piano, bass (electric and/or baby bass and/or double bass), guitar and or tres, trumpet, trombone, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax.
3) You have experience with teamwork. Experience with playing together in a large orchestra is an advantage.
4) You are available for the auditions on June 6 and 7 and June 10 and 11, the rehearsal period June 25-28, the rehearsal on June 30 and the performance dates (mostly evenings): July 1, September 15 (premiere), September 16, October 14, November 24, December 2.
5) You prioritize your availability for the NJJO’s performance dates and international tour(s) to be determined in 2024.
6) Filling in all asked for details at the page called “inschrijving” of www.njjo.nl and supplemented with a bio (max 1x A4) and an MP3 (so NO movie/MP4 or WAV) with a live played piece in which we can here you (in solo).